Writemex

Fear and loathing and a good bit of love in my writing life.

Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

I've been a writer since the age of three, beginning with the oral tradition of storytelling. My first audient was my younger brother. He was reluctant. I remember lying on him in the back of the family Buick, on a trip from Iowa to Texas in 1949, to insure his full attention to my tale.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

ABC News: Rubik Cube cerca 1973?

ABC News on-line through my Yahoo home page is showing a video this morning of the world's fastest cube solver. But...they were a little too fast putting the facts together on their story. They note that the cube arrived on the pop culture scene in 1973.

We Boomers may be having a hard time keeping the details of our everyday life clear as we hit 60, but some of us are still pretty clear on the 1960s. I remember spending many nights and many hours in the summer of 1968, in the red vinyl booth of an all night downtown Denver cafe, drinking coffee and trying to solve the Rubik cube.

My friend's and I used my almost empty writing notebook (I thought it looked good even before Natalie Goldberg's, Writing Down the Bones, to be writing in a cafe) to record the various combinations of twists to start the pattern that we hoped would solve the cube. Obviously, we should have been drinking Coors instead of the caffeinated grog of an all night diner. But, then I might not have remembered so clearly that that was 1968.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home